Friday, November 5, 2010

Fall Fishing on Lake George

Fall fishing is my favourite time of year because the weather is just right for me.  Most anglers in Northern Ontario are focused on the Steelhead run which is now in full gear.  I thought I would head down to Lake George to try and pull some planer boards and crankbaits.  I loaded up the boat in Goulais River and headed towards Ben's bait and Tackle on the Garden River First Nations Reserve.  This is a decent place to launch and a much shorter boat ride to Lake George.  Once I got to my spot I threw out the boards and started fishing in about 7-10 ft of water over weed beds.  I started using X-raps with different colours.  Within 10 minutes I had my first board shaker.  It turned out to be a 5 lb pike.  This was not what I was looking for but the fight was a lot of fun.  Before I could get the line back in the water the other board started shaking.  Again it was another pike about 4 lbs.  I decided to switch up baits and go with a slower presentation and deeper water(10-12 ft) to see if I could spur the walleye on.  I went with riplin redfins of different colours but I added some weight to the line to get them down deeper.  Guess what, within minutes I had another pike on about 5 lbs.  I decided to move to another area and change up baits again.  This time I decided to try Northland Tackles jaw breaker spoons(weedless).  I ended catching a jumbo perch right away so I thought maybe things were going to be different.  Not the case, the pike started up again.  I must of have caught a dozen pike in about 3 hrs.  It was a lot of fun but nothing bigger than the fish in the picture above.  I think I am going to chase after Steelhead on the weekend!  Check back for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment