Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sagamok Walleye Classic - Day 1

The morning started early and we discovered the boat to be in a different spot then where we left it.  The river crested another 2 ft over night.  Thankfully we had the boat tied up.  The river has risen about 4.5 ft.  The current is faster today and the water is chocolate in colour.  We decided to go to our spot where we caught nice fish the day before.  It was about a 40 minute boat ride to get there.  When we arrived their was 2 other boats fishing there.  It was okay because their was enough room for us.  We watched one boat catch 3 fish right away.  We missed one.  The other caught a carp.  After 2 hours we decided to move and that was our mistake of the tournament.  That move cost us the top 10 after day 1.  The top 2 weights came from our morning spot.  Still not sure why we decided to move and why we didn't go back to that spot later.  I am still beating myself up over that one.  We ended up with no fish after day 1 but so did 41 other boats.  We are currently ranked 21st with a 0 on day 1.  The 10th spot is 2.3 lbs.  We have a chance to still place in the money with a solid day tomorrow.  Many locals who fish the river all the time got zero's today.  They have never seen the river this high in years.  I am busy tying new tackle for tomorrow and I hope we can get on some fish right away.  I am not leaving my spot tomorrow.  The problem will be that 40 other boats will be fighting for position as well.  We are the 10th boat out tomorrow morning so that will help.  I think only a few boats will pass us.  Need to get a bigger motor in the future so I don't get passed anymore.  I will try to update my blog tomorrow night but it is a long day and 3 hr drive home after.  Wish me good luck as I will need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment