Monday, January 30, 2012

Proper Boat Control means Jigging Success for Walleyes


Walleye fishing is something I am passionate about especially at the tournament level. My most successful days are usually quite windy or areas of heavy current. When it comes to jigging, staying vertical is where it is at for trophy walleyes. I grew up on the St Marys River system which varies in current speed from 1 mph - 4 mph in different areas. Now throw the wind into that equation and the perfect storm is created when testing your boat control skills. My boat is a 19ft Crestliner Raptor which is a Deep "V", this means a lot of the boat is out of the water. A great sail for the wind!

The keys to my success can be utilizing the electric trolling motor and 9.9 hp kicker at the same time. Speed and timing play a big factor is getting the right setup. Sometimes I am even running my kicker in reverse and the electric in forward motion. It gives me more control on where I am going and speed. The proper electric trolling motor is really important. I am running a Minn Kota 101 lb thrust terrova with the "I" pilot system. The 36 volt system gives me the power and battery hours needed for a long day on the water fighting current and winds. This motor also has many features that I will discuss in another report that can lead to success in the boat. All I can say is practice makes perfect. You need to figure out your drifting speed first before you can start planning your tactics for boat control and maintaining vertical contact with the bottom. Sometimes I have the nose of the boat pointed with the current and sometimes the nose is pointing upstream. Every system and condition is different.

Once you have mastered boat control, vertical jigging will allow you to have your presentation in front of those trophy walleyes longer. A big lazy walleye cannot resist an easy meal. Play with different size jig heads as well. I typically use a 3/8 oz in heavy current if I can get away with it. Don't be afraid to use a 1/2 oz if it is needed, very important to have that vertical presentation and contact with the bottom. This will increase your success at bagging more trophy walleyes in some of your favourite spots.

Shane Turcotte
http://www.gethookedontario.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment